Catch a ball and your opponent who threw the ball is out. In a game with returnies, someone from your team also gets to come back in. Here’s a couple tips on catching a dodgeball.
- I like to catch balls that are thrown right at my chest and then I cradle it against my body, so not to drop it. Actually, I never caught any balls in the last tournament, because there were no returnies. I generally stay away from it.
- Only catch the ball if you are really sure you can catch it. I’ve seen way too many people try to catch the ball only to drop it (thereby being eliminated).
- If you really suck at throwing, perhaps you should practice your catching. Stay low to the ground and suck those balls up.
- A technique I have yet to see employed on actual court play is the sitdown technique. The idea is to make yourself be as small a target as possible, yet enable yourself to actually catch the ball. Is there a rule against this? It seems like there should be, but if anyone has any experience with the sitdown technique, please write them in the comments below. Thanks.
This is a part seven of a seven-part series every Wednesday of Dodgeball strategies covering:
3) Throwing Techniques
4) Attack Strategies during the Game
5) Ball Control
Great series, Matt!! That was fun!
This was great. i am doing a project on dodgeball and it was really helpful
You have some good advice, but I bet you throw like a girl.
It’s best to have a direction of movement in mind before the ball is thrown otherwise the time it takes for you to see and react is just enough time for you to take it to the nose
that’s some really good advice, dalton.
u said throwing at the shins was good. I find that jumping is generally a good defensive move to this sense most people aim for the shin/feet.
more of a question, how to deal with elbow strain that comes from throwing fastballs multiple times
Thanks for all your help. Good Stuff…Very Useful Information!
Thanks for the tips. My school is having a dodgeball team, and my debate has entered as a team, this should definitely win it for us
dude…this was so helpful. i get the feeling my team has a total edge in our tournament next wednesday