Cubism occurred in the early 20th century. How can 16th century steel works be listed under a search for cubism?
- Cuisse and Poleyn for the Left Leg, c. 1510/20
- Pair of Cuisses and Poleyns, c. 1510
- Cuisse and Poleyn for Right Leg, c. 1510/20
Three works of armor appear, all have in common the word “Cuisse” in their title, which sounds very similar to “cubism”. Hence, the search results tossing in the Cuisse items at the end of the Cubism results.
It’s fascinating to consider these armor pieces under the cubism lens:
- The strong lines.
- The slight abstraction of form.
- Taking pieces of the body and making them into geometric shapes.
All qualities of Cubism.