Posting every Wednesday, with some bonuses
- Large photograms by János MegyikTransforming large sculptures into two-dimensional photograms.
- Keeping a physical notebook for gardening recordsDo you keep a gardening notebook?
- A radio station that plays entire albumsIn an age of streaming singles, imagine a station that celebrates whole albums, providing insights between songs. It’s a deep dive into the artistry behind the music. 📀🎧
- Georgia O’Keeffe wrapped on a NASCAR — you might be aghast, but here’s why it could workNASCAR is teaming up with the Art Institute of Chicago to create a Georgia O’Keeffe-wrapped pace car at the 2024 Chicago Auto Show.
- Transforming my computer monitor into a LEGO monitor20 years ago I made a LEGO frame for my computer monitor. Should I do that again?
- Now page (for February 2024)Making a “/now page” to share what I’m doing now.
- Ten reasons why the scarfbombing movement is fantasticImpactful scarves, choice dignity, clear intent with tiny cards. How scarf bombing blends art, warmth, and giving.
- Why I use Facebook only through the browser, not on my phoneLoving the simplicity of life in chronological order, not through an algorithm.
- Is Amazon endorsing the ‘mad genius’ artist stereotype?The “Popular Psychology Creativity & Genius” category is worded a bit strange—or maybe it’s just me.
- Discover the Thorne Miniature Rooms in a browserTransform each new tab into a journey through the Thorne Miniature Rooms with my modified version of the Art Institute of Chicago’s Chrome extension.
- Alternate ways of saying LOLDid you know on MacOS if you press and hold down a character key, it gives you the alternate accents? From now on, i’m not using lol, I’m using löl It looks like a surprised person with …
- Are discarded tress surprising to squirrels?Local squirrel confounded by tree’s new ‘horizontal living’ choice. Neighbors report it’s been dabbling in avant-garde landscaping.
- National Squirrel DayNational Squirrel Day is on Sunday, January 21st. Squirrel day in winter‽ It’s to remind us that food is scarce for squirrels in mid-winter. That’s pretty cool. Well, not that food is scarce, but that a squirrel …
- Enamel pins featuring film camerasJust discovered the coolest thing for photography buffs like me 📸 Camera lens enamel pins! They’re tiny, detailed, and oh-so-collectible.
- A window to the world: Exploring global landmarks through live webcamsJust discovered a live webcam of the Northern Lights from Finland, which is now part of my nine favorite live webcams
- Winter’s artwork on our windowDo you like the mysterious vibe or the detailed HDR version?
- Long exposure of snow, long album about winterEver wondered what the quiet of snowfall sounds like? 🤫 I paired a serene snow scene with the minimalist music of Philip Glass, John Cage, and Arvo Pärt. Read my blog for a journey into winter’s whisper. ❄️
- How are you? Use a unique response with the day’s weird holidayEver thought of making ‘How are you?’ more interesting? I’m spending this year answering with National Holidays! 🎉
- The art student’s joke that turned December 14th into Monkey DayIt’s Monkey Day! A day born from a simple act of fun on a friend’s calendar. Let’s spread joy and a little bit of harmless monkeying around!
- Exploring timeless creativity: A peek at Peru’s Paracas cultureDid you know? The same culture that crafted adorable pottery also sketched epic geoglyphs viewable from the skies!
Fun links & quick thoughts
- Basketball cards from the 1970s
- Best of Chicago 2023, available through Issuu
- Best exhibition pop-up in a thrift store
- Let’s color some Rothko paintings purple
- ASCII art mouse ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
- LEGO blocks as budding flower
- Croquet posts on BlueSky
- Art schools that teach laser cutting, wood engraving, 3d printing, and plotter drawing
- What is implied when you follow nobody on Instagram
- Master calendar for fun holidays and trivia
- NBA court is a giant flat-screen TV
- Trying ooo ooo Temu
- The double cicada invasion in 2024 isn’t as much as they are making it to be
- Wastewater Covid charts
- Coloring in drawings from 25 years ago
- Instagram no longer shows recent photos for a hashtag search
- Headphones that Darth Vader would use
- Resolutions for 2024
- The enigma of an old lace
- Naming a Chicago Snow Plow
- Diverse Tech Geek
by Anthony Dean
- Greg.org by Greg Allen
- Inveterate note taker
by Chris Aldrich
- Ironic Sans
by David Friedman
- Making culture
by Anil Dash
by Maria Popova
by Phil Huckleberry
- Minimalist philosopher of business
by Derek Sivers
- Moonshot Thinking
by Ozan Varol
- On my Om by Om Malik
- One newsletter at a time
by CJ Chilvers
by Cory Doctorow
- Ramblings of a Chicagoan
by Dave Winer
by Ben Thompson
- Tedium by Ernie Smith
- The Future, Now and Then
by Dave Karpf
- The Hot Iron
by Mike Maddaloni
by Erik Maldre
- Where’s Your Ed At
by Ed Zitron
- Writer who draws
by Austin Kleon