Ever wonder where people sell your name to when you fill out a request form or profile form online?
Here’s a trick that I do: When filling in your first name put something unique after your name. i.e. my full name is Matt Maldre.
When I fill out forms I may put in “Matt Groovy” for the first name. So now whenever I get junk mail, if it’s got “Matt Groovy Maldre” in the address, I know where they got my name from.
Any word will do. Just keep track of what words you use for what.
Here’s some recent examples I’ve done:
- Matt Paperlover Maldre: Request for Domtar paper swatches.
- Matt Peppy Maldre: Dr. Pepper
- Matt Awakenow Maldre: Coca-cola
- Matt Newsboy Maldre: Chicago Tribune
- Matt GDFunk Maldre: Graphic Design USA magazine