“Formed from a single block of excavated stone, Kailasa temple is considered one of the most impressive cave temples in India. The enormous structure is one of 34 cave temples and monasteries that are collectively known as the Ellora Caves.” —mymodernmet
Since I started my webcomic in 2015, I’ve always wanted to place the setting underground. There’s something so alluring about underground cities. The complex structures. The hidden and isolated. Sources of underground inspiration include
- Potatoes. Seriously. My site is named Spudart, after all.
- Digger webcomic by Ursula Vernon
- Ant farms
- Chicago’s underground freight tunnels
- Tribune Tower’s underground storage levels (some day I’ll dig out the photos I took)
- Colosseum’s underground tunnels
- Octonauts by Meomi
- Chicago subway and pedway
- Really big holes
- Doodling underground worlds
- Salt mines (Hutchinson Salt Company)
- Underground diagrams like this
Now these cave temple structures are providing more inspiration.
And for fun, some monkeys hanging out at the Ellora Caves