Walgreens no longer has a toy section in its downtown Chicago stores. With the redesign of Walgreens floor layout last summer, they completely eliminated their toy section. So now other than the Lego Store on Michigan Avenue, there is a complete absence of toys in downtown Chicago. How sad.
Here’s the gradual disappearance:
- Toys R Us on State Street (closed Summer 2003?)
- FAO Schwartz on Michigan Ave (closed January 2003)
- KB Toys in Merchandise Mart (closed January 2004)
- Tribune Tower’s toy store on the 14th floor (closed December 2005)
- Walgreens (closed toy sections Summer 2006)
- Game store in Nordstrom’s Westfield Mall (closed January 2007)
Tribune Tower had a toy store? On the 14th floor? Well, kinda. Back in January 2004 I made a blog post about toy store closings: “Toy vacancy in downtown Chicago” where I said that I was gonna open up a toy store at my desk. Haha. But then in December of 2005, I was part of a company-wide cost-cutting layoff. I returned back to Tribune in April 2006 (they just couldn’t keep me away!), but this time around I’m trying to keep my work desk less cluttered with stuff. But…
PLEASE! CAN SOMEONE OPEN A TOY STORE IN CHICAGO!? If someone knows of any toy stores in downtown Chicago, please let us know in the comments of this post.