Google has now released their own instant messaging service called Google Talk. It’s available for PC and Mac. There is a program for the PC users to download, while there is none for the Macintosh. However, Google Talk does work in the program Adium.
If you don’t have Adium already, you should get it. This program combines aol instant messenger, yahoo, msn, and ICQ into one interface. And now it also supports Google Talk.
1) At the top menu select: Adium > Preferences
2) The Preferences : Accounts window will pop up. In this window, you want to go to the lower left where there is a plus sign and select “Jabber”
3) A new window with come up with more preferences. In the accounts tab, enter in your gmail email address. Yes, it has be “firstname.lastname@example.org”, not just “yourusername” Also enter your gmail password.
4) Now click on the “Options tab” and you’ll come to the options section. Here you want to enter the following:
Connect Server: talk.google.com
Security: Use TLS encryption (if possible)
5) Click OK to close this window. And click OK again to close the next window. Now you are done with the settings.
6) Add any google users to your buddy list, just make sure you include their full gmail email address, and not just their username. Feel free to add my email address from the image above (step 3) and let me know how the installation went.. and maybe what you would do with a billion pennies (without spending them).